Sebum is an oily substance produced by the sebaceous glands in the skin. Over production of sebum causes oily skin. Different people have different levels of skin oil. For some, it is more than the others.
If too much of sebum accumulates on your skin for a prolonged period, you might be prone to problems like acne and pimples. If you are one of those people who have oily skin, here is how you can manage it.
1. Wash your face twice a day: Washing your face twice helps remove the excess sebum and keep your skin fresh, light and breathing. Wash your face with warm water as this will help remove the excess oil. Do not over do it because your skin can become dry and start flaking. Use glycerin based face washes. Try not to use cream based or moisturizing soaps.
2. Use tissues or blotting paper as often as necessary. Using this will help absorb excess oil and keep your skin fresh and breathable.
3. Face pack once a week:
– Egg: egg is a rich source of protein and micro nutrients for skin and hair. It nourishes the skin and prevent excess production of skin oil.
– Honey is a humectant, which means it helps to keep the skin hydrated, but not oily. Using a honey mask once a week consistently will show results.
– Cosmetic clay: also known as healing clay, helps to absorb toxins and excess oil form the skin. While washing off after drying, it acts as a defoliant and removes all the dead cells from the skin.
– Oat meal, being fibrous in nature, absorbs excess oils and acts as a deep nourishing source. It can exfoliate the skin while being washed off.
– Aloe vera: is being used ever since the Egyptian ages to treat all kinds of skin problems and keep the skin fresh and clear. It is used as a coolant and prevents the formation of blotches, blemishes and scarring due to pimples or acne.
4. Use minimal make up when the skin is oily: when the skin secretes oil, its pores open up. When you apply makeup, the cosmetic agents and chemicals settle in the pores and penetrate deep into the skin, which may lead to infections. Also, it may collect in the pores over a period of time and cause the formation of blackheads, acne or pimples.
5. Remove make up before bed. Your skin needs to breathe in order to stay young and fresh. By removing the make up at night, and keeping your skin natural, it can breathe. Though your face will be oily by morning, you will have healthy and glowing skin.
If you have oily skin, consider yourself blessed. You do not need to constantly apply moisturizer to keep your skin from drying. By following these few tips, you can maintain the beauty of your skin.